Sunday, April 1, 2012

Sirach 6


"Faithful friends are a sturdy shelter:
whoever finds one has found a treasure.
Faithful friends are beyond price;
no amount can balance their worth.
Faithful friends are life-saving medicine;
and those who fear the Lord will find them.”
-Sirach 6:14-16

We've been reading this passage during Friday stations of the cross. It really spoke to me. Those who have been so kind, generous, loving, supportive - they have been friends. Most are scattered across the county. Some I've never even met in person. Many who've prayed for us are friends or family members of friends, people I've never even spoken to. In a time when families are scattered across the county, are involved in their own goings-on, in a time of dwindling faith, in a time where people seek their own paths, I've been grateful for friends near and far, friends who've watched our kids, friends who've offered to drop everything and help us when the baby comes, friends who've sent books, made rosaries, are making clothes or blankets or hats. 

I don't believe it was God's will that my child die. I do believe that God takes tragedy and makes good come of it. I believe it's our job to find that good and nourish it. I believe making new friends is one of those goods that will come of this. 

Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment